Saturday, June 6, 2009

Remembering Their Lives and Losses




As the sun sets on this year's remembrance of D-Day, the battle of Normandy, I am reminded yet again of how very grateful I am to the lives that were given both on an off the field of battle.


This week I watched the unveiling of a bronze statue of Ronald Reagan, and my heart began to ache. Ronald Reagan was vilified by our press, the same press who is reluctant to post a negative (or true) story about our current President, but who quickly began to deliberate with reckless abandon the historical significance of the Presidency of Ronald Reagan.


Today I could not bring myself to watch as Barack Hussein Obama stood on hallowed ground in Normandy. The egomaniac President was, is, and ever shall be (at least in my mind) a disgrace to all that the men and women of our military stand for. To see this man, this hypocrite, this liar, stand shoulder to shoulder with the leaders of other nations, portending to represent the beliefs of ALL Americans makes me shudder with revulsion. In simple language, I fight the urge to vomit each and every time I see his image or hear his voice.
Last week a mass murdered was gunned down in church by a man who had a clear case of mental instability. The next day two members of our military were gunned down by an American-born terrorist. We all know which crime received the most attention, and we all know which criminal is the most reviled by the reliably liberal media. The fact is, each of these men engaged in an extreme act based upon their individual perception of ideology. Each man made the deliberate and conscious decision to take the life of another human being. Each man is guilty of cold-blooded murder.

Dr. Tiller was a physician who specialized in and enormously profited from performing ritualistic and premeditated murder. The fact that this type of murder is legal in the United States is disturbing to me - yet it remains legal and will likely become enhanced as the result of the actions of one man.

There was a time when I believed, as many young women believe, that abortion is the ultimate in feminine freedom. I, however, had an instant and almost cataclysmic event occur in my life, however, when I was able to see my unborn child via ultrasound at 8 weeks gestation. I saw, at that moment, the tiny flicker of her heart beating. She had no arms, no legs, no discernible body parts at all - she appeared as a bean or a peanut. Yet, there it was - LIFE! From that moment nearly 20 years ago until now I have been a very strong supporter of the Right to Life movement. In that one split second my entire line of thinking changed, and I was rescued from the morass of liberalism. People speak of life-changing events very casually, almost cynically, but for me, this hit me like a bolt of lightning. I was bearing witness to the creation of life, the passing on of a human being who would perhaps become a world leader, or simply offer the world a son or daughter of her own.

So today I thank the women and men of the past generations who gave their sons and daughters to the American people. Without their sacrifices, I would not exist today.

No comments: